[Mediawiki-l] bug report : diff3 testing in config/index.php

Cyril Banderier Cyril.Banderier at lipn.univ-paris13.fr
Thu Nov 17 04:23:15 UTC 2005

I just join your mailing list,
so I hope it's the right place for this "bug" report !

It took me some times to understand why the installation process
was not finding "diff3" (it is the same in mediawiki 1.4... 1.5.2)
on some of my computers, and I was surprised not to find this "bug" with google...

Well in the file /config/index.php
I fear there's a problem with the line :
$versinfo = array('$1 --version 2>&1', 'diff3 (GNU diffutils)');

on Debian it gives
diff3 -v
diff3 (GNU diffutils) 2.8.1

whereas on FreeBSD it gives :
-bash-2.05b$ diff3 --v
diff3 - GNU diffutils version 2.7

You see the joke with the pattern matching test ? ;-)

Therefore, I forced the compilation with
$conf->diff3 = "/usr/bin/diff3";

However I still have lot of (I think independent) bugs
(because of FreeBSD, not diff3, as it works fine under Debian),
but it will be in another mail ;-)

Hope this helps,
Best regards, Cyril