[Mediawiki-l] Re: change the an icon in the browser's

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Mon Nov 14 16:33:22 UTC 2005

> From: judi chen <judi_chen at yahoo.com>
>
> I want have an icon in the browser's address-line when
> my wiki site being accessed.  Just as the W icon when
> www. wikipedia.com being accessed.
>
> I did the following but won't work.

Be aware that favicons are very tightly clenched to many browsers'
chests!

I think they may be stored in a separate cache or something. Whenever
I do a favicon for a client whose website I've already viewed without
the favicon, I have to go to another machine that had never viewed
that site in order to see it. This is with MacOS X and Safari --
there seems to be little you can do in Safari to make a favicon
change -- even quitting Safari won't do it.

So my guess is that you successfully made your favicon, but you just
couldn't see it.

:::: There's a difference between having an open mind and letting the
wind blow through your ears!
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Van>