[Mediawiki-l] moving database from server A to server B

judi chen judi_chen at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 12 17:46:30 UTC 2005

Hi all
thanks

I use the binary mode to ftp the file from one server
to another server.

I did exactly steps as I described.

Can someone give me the detailed steps that I should
follow including the query.
Thanks
jc

Message: 3
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 16:23:24 -0800 (PST)
From: judi chen <judi_chen at yahoo.com>
Subject: [Mediawiki-l] moving database from server A
to server B
To: mediawiki-l at Wikimedia.org

Hi Rob,

Here are the steps I followed,

1. dump db by using
mysqldump -u root -p --single-transaction mywikidb >
backup.sql

2. ftp the backup.sql over to box B with bin

3.  Create a database with the same name 'mywikidb' on
B.

 $ mysql -u root -p
  Enter root password: ****

  mysql> create database mywikidb;
  mysql> use mywikidb;

4. import database
mysql> source backup.sql;

5. Install MediaWiki as usual, but change the
database's name from the default 'wikidb' to
'mywikidb' MediaWiki will detect there is a
pre-existing database and try to upgrade it when
necessary.

Also, the language setting MUST be the same as the
original one!!

Pls help.
Thanks
jc