[Mediawiki-l] Deleting users.

Jamie Bliss astronouth7303 at gmail.com
Tue May 31 00:09:53 UTC 2005

One thing that could be done is to create a user called "spambot" and
reassign any references necessary to that.

Here's places where the ID should just be deleted (where {UID} is a
bad ID), described in SQL:
* DELETE FROM `user` WHERE `user_id` = {UID};
* DELETE FROM `user_newtalk` WHERE `user_id` = {UID};
* DELETE FROM `user_rights` WHERE `ur_user` = {UID};
* DELETE FROM `watchlist` WHERE `wl_user` = {UID};

Here's places where the ID should be changed (same format as above,
except {NewID} is the ID of "spambot"):
* UPDATE `validate` SET `val_user` = {NewID} WHERE `val_user` ={UID};
* UPDATE `recentchanges` SET `rc_user` = {NewID}, `rc_user_text` =
'SpamBot' WHERE `rc_user` = {UID}
* UPDATE `archive` SET `ar_user` = {NewID} WHERE `ar_user` = {UID}
* UPDATE `old` SET `old_user` = {NewID} WHERE `old_user` = {UID}
* UPDATE `oldimage` SET `oi_user` = {NewID}, `oi_user_text` =
'SpamBot' WHERE `oi_user` = {UID}
* UPDATE `cur` SET `cur_user` = {NewID}, `cur_user_text` = 'SpamBot'
WHERE `cur_user` = {UID}
* UPDATE `image` SET `image_user` = {NewID}, `image_user_text` =
'SpamBot' WHERE `image_user` = {UID}
* UPDATE `logging` SET `log_user` = {NewID} WHERE `log_user` = {UID}
(I skipped ipblocks above. If any of these people are blocking IPs,
they shouldn't be deleted).

Also,  ss_users in site_stats should be adjusted appropriately.

The basic technique is to delete the user and change/remove all
references to them.

Disclaimer: I do not recomend just running these queries on your DB. I
am not known for my SQL abilities, so it is best to validate them or
just user what you need.