[Mediawiki-l] Single-equal-sign sections: not documented? working?

Matt England mengland at mengland.net
Sat May 21 19:16:08 UTC 2005

Single-equal-sign sections:

(Example:

= Section1 =

== Section 2 ==
)

I see they are not documented (and I didn't know until just yesterday that
they actually *work*):

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Editing#Sections.2C_paragraphs.2C_lists_and_lines

Because of this, I have created a LOT of content on my wiki that presumed
that "== Section1 ==" was the first-level section, and now I'm a bit of a
quandary.  My new users are mixing "=" and "==" sections, and things are
getting out of whack when authors/editors are not paying
attention.  Further, if I want to get everything "right" again one has to
do a LOT of manual editing.

Before anyone on my site goes to do this, I ask:  are "=" sections bona
fide markup that will be supported in all future revisions?

If so, I kind of have a mess on my hands.  To this end:  is it worth
updating the above docs so that others may not experience the same problem?

-Matt