[Mediawiki-l] Making it easier to add

D_C d3ntaku at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 11:49:09 UTC 2005

I am new to mediawiki, so a couple of questions:

I really want to encourage people to contribute, but out-of-the box
mediawiki seems a bit daunting to users. Maybe the below questions are
just UI tweaks, so I would appreciate any guidance:

* "Guestbook"
is there a way that a familiar "comment" box, or "add stuff here" box
can be added to a page? A little like a very user-friendly guestbook,
or a "comments" box on a blog.
Currently people have to "edit this page" and then users get scared
they might mess up the site.

* Discussion Tab - template?
I notice wikipedia (and many other wikis) have a tab for the
discussion area- is this simply a template within mediawiki, or a
whole different thing? I couldnt find it in out of the box "skins"
setting...

* discussion inline?
Also, can this discussion content be "inline" - eg after the meat of
the page? the items they are discussing? Or always on another tab...
it is hidden and doesnt motivate users to contribute "like others"

* "new page" button
afaik, currently users have to edit a page, add an undefined link,
save page, click link, edit new page.... very lengthy. Is there not
just an "add new page" way to add stuff?
Granted, this would not be obviously linked to anything, but seems
more familiar to people...and new pages would show up in a "whats
new".

Sorry if these seem like basic questions and any help appreciated.

wiki >> http://www.pikkle.com/notes
   David "DC" Collier
mobile business creator |モバイル・ビジネス・クリエーター
    dc at pikkle.com
    http://www.pikkle.com
    +81 (0)90-7414-6107