[Mediawiki-l] Re: Oracle database question

Tim Starling t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Jan 18 15:25:28 UTC 2005

stefan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have started to use (pilot) the Media Wiki at our company (>1500 emp.). It is
> not convenient for us to run another kind of DB system, such as MySQL as we
> have standardised ways of storing,managing and backing up our data. Are there
> any implementations with or plans for an Oracle database backend for the media
> wiki?

No. We've discussed the possibility of such a feature, but nothing has
been done. We have a rudimentary DBMS abstraction architecture, you can
always write the subclass yourself if you want. But I'm told changes
would have to be made to the bulk of the code as well.

A number of other wiki engines support Oracle, for example PhpWiki and
TikiWiki.

-- Tim Starling