[Mediawiki-l] Re: Re: Re: Help for a new mediawiki installation

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Mon Feb 14 20:03:41 UTC 2005

On 14 Feb 2005, at 11:54, Alessandro Ronchi wrote:

> - How can I change the default style for my wiki installation? I have
> made a custom skin, but I want this to be the default one for every
> user, also anonymous ones.

I found that impossible to accomplish. There is a LocalSettings.php way
to do it, but it doesn't seem to work in some situations. Be careful of
upper/lower case issues.

What I wanted to do was more drastic: to only allow one skin. I ended
up having to heavily hack SpecialPreferences.php and to grep around for
'monobook' and make a few changes elsewhere that assume a different
default than the default.

Then again, perhaps I was just having cache coherence problems. I've
often changed lots of stuff I didn't need to because "refresh" didn't
show my change.

I do think it would be a useful addition to the configuration to be
able to easily impose a single look-n-feel on users of a particular
MediaWiki.

:::: What we watch, we change. Attending mostly to the dramitic, we
neglect the slow. Monitoring flawed gauges such as stock prices,
consumer confidence, and gross domestic product, we organize our
institutions to generate high stock prices, confident consumers, and
the grossest domestic product we can muster. Conversely, because we do
not watch them, we do not get the healthiest lives, the strongest
communities, or the most vibrant ecosystems. -- Cascadia Scorecard
2004, Northwest Environmental Watch
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Van>