[Mediawiki-l] mediawiki image alignment problem

Tin Huynh thuynh_ at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 14 08:21:47 UTC 2005

hi all, new user to this list as well as mediawiki.  i just recently
installed the stable release of mediawiki (1.3.10).  Installation went fine
and mostly everything is working correctly except for one thing.  I can not
get images i've uploaded to align either left or right.  ive checked the
mediawiki syntax for this a million times and everything ive tried doesnt
work.  When im editing a page, i enter:

[[image:test.png|right]]

*i read that you can also add another vertical bar at the end of right so
that "right" does not appear as the alt text.

i've tested this on other mediawiki installations (older versions, on
seperate servers, etc) and it works.  On my mediawiki, the image is just
positioned left and the text is cleared right below it.  i checked the
source code and "right" appears as the alt text for some reason.  im not
really sure if this function is a setting i have to turn on or something.  i
know that you can just add html (div class="floatright") when editing and it
will work, but that is sorta cumbersome for the average users editing this
wiki.

This is a fresh installtion of mediawiki.  I have gone through and adjusted
all the suggested security settings.  i do not have the GD Library
installed.  Permissions are set to read only, except for the image folder.

any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

-tim

p.s. i know that the thumbnailing function is not enabled if GD library is
not installed, but i should still be able to resize my images right?  using
this syntax:

[[image:test.png|left|thumb|50px|]]

it should just resize using html correct?  maybe this problem is connected
to the above one?