[Mediawiki-l] Re: how to delete my wiki page? mistakes

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Thu Dec 29 18:43:17 UTC 2005

> From: Sy Ali <sy1234 at gmail.com>
>
> On 12/27/05, Jan Steinman <Jan at bytesmiths.com> wrote:
>>> From: Sy Ali <sy1234 at gmail.com>
>>>
>>> ... apparently going into the database
>>> would indeed be required to purge history.. but such things are not
>>> for me...
>>
>> I think anyone who is going to administer a MediaWiki site would
>> benefit from learning something about MySQL.
>
> You might want to involve me in a reply to me.. I might have skipped
> over this post.

This sort of sums up our differences. If I post something to a public
forum, I expect that people will reply there. I don't expect others
to change the way they do things to cater to me, unless it's
something truly personal. (By the way, Sy, how's the wife and kids? :-)

> I could go on about how mysql isn't a real database...
> I'd rather not even work with
> phpmyadmin...
> I could also go on about how php
> is a letdown and not something I want to get involved with...

My, aren't you a bundle of joy!

Patient: "Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do this!"

Doctor: "Well, then stop doing that!"

I think you're using the wrong software for the wrong reasons.

> MediaWiki is built for the Wikipedia.. something which wasn't and
> still isn't stressed enough.  This means that its needs and focuses
> aren't real-world.  Which sucks and I'm unfortunately stuck with it.

WikiPedia isn't "real-world"? I think insisting that someone else's
hammer doesn't serve your need for a screwdriver is what isn't "real-
world!"

> In conclusion.. I don't like learning new tricks.  =)

I think you'd be best served by a commercial product. There are
commercially supported wikis available. These people are paid to
listen to customers whine -- and then to cater to the needs of their
market.

In my experience, whining on this list that MediaWiki doesn't fit
your particular needs -- especially in a deprecating manner -- is
simply a quick way to get in a lot of people's spam filters.

:::: The white man seeks to conquer nature, to bend it to his will
and to use it wastefully until it’s all gone and then he simply moves
on, leaving the waste behind him and looking for new places to take.
The whole white race is a monster who is always hungry and what he
eats is land. — Chiksika, elder brother of Tecumseh, March 19, 1779
:::: Jan Steinman, http://www.Bytesmiths.com