[Mediawiki-l] time zone for ~~~~

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Tue Dec 27 23:28:14 UTC 2005

Mauro do Carmo wrote:
> I have set up $wgLocaltimezone and I get it right; when I save a page, it
> takes the time I've set up in $wgLocaltimezone.
>
> However, when I assign a page with ~~~~, my signature always takes the CST
> (Central Standard Time); and unfortunately that doesn't work for me.
>
> Does someone know where should I set up, in order to get the local PC time
> into my signatures?

Signatures use the system's configured timezone. On Unix/Linux you can generally
set this by changing the TZ environment variable in LocalSettings.php, for instance:

putenv("TZ=Europe/Berlin");

A sitewide default timezone is used here rather than the individual user's
preference or local version to keep things consistent. If you have a page full
of signatures, and they're all in different timezones, it's pretty hard to
mentally keep track of what was before what.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)