[Mediawiki-l] Re: Small Wiki Farm

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Thu Dec 15 16:00:03 UTC 2005

> From: "Laurie Lewis" <ldlewis at swiftdsl.com.au>
>
> I am very new to this and
> trying to set up a number of wikis on the one site.  All of them will
> deal with the same topic they are just in different languages.  I have
> been playing around with it for a while but seem to just keep breaking
> it.  I also found this article but I am having some problems following
> it.

Here is a script I use for such things. It basically makes linked
copies of a "master" MW site.

#!/bin/bash
##
# Link the wiki files into another directory for use as a copy.
#
# $1: where to put the wiki
#
# Where the originals are
basedir=/Library/WebServer/include/mediawiki-1.5.2

# Should not need to change anything below this line.
#
# Where the target website is
#
if [ ! -d "$1" ]; then
	echo $0 error, $1 does not exist; exit 999;
fi

#
# Resolve relative name, if needed.
#
stardir="$PWD"
cd "$1"
targetdir="$PWD"
cd "$startdir"

#
# Setup the base wiki directory.
#
umask=027
[ -d "$targetdir/wiki" ] || mkdir "$targetdir/wiki"
chgrp www "$targetdir/wiki"
targetdir="$targetdir/wiki"

#
# Hard-link files in $1 directory to $2 directory, both of which exist,
# recursively doing the same in any subdirs found.
# Paths must be absolute.
#
depth=-1
function linkall() {
	echo
	((depth=$depth+1))
	for (( i=$depth; $i > 0; i=$i-1 )) ; do
		echo -n '    ';
	done
	echo -n "linking $1: "
	local here="$PWD"
	cd "$1"
	local f
         for f in *
         do
                 if [ -d "$f" ]; then
                         mkdir "$2/$f"; chgrp www "$2/$f"; linkall
"$1/$f" "$2/$f" ;
                 else
			echo -n '.';
                         ln "$1/$f" "$2/$f";
                 fi
         done
	cd "$here"
	echo -n '/'
	((depth=$depth-1))
}

linkall "$basedir" "$targetdir"
chmod 770 "$targetdir/images"
chmod 770 "$targetdir/config"
rm "$targetdir/LocalSettings.php"

echo
echo "Now go to http://hostname/wiki/config and set up the
configuration"
echo "REMEMBER remove or write protect the config directory afterward!"
echo

:::: Given an infinite source of energy, population growth still
produces an inescapable problem. The problem of the acquisition of
energy is replaced by the problem of its dissipation. -- Garrett Hardin
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Van>