[Mediawiki-l] importing users/passwords from another database into mediawiki mysql db

Isaac Gonzalez youngi at comcast.net
Fri Dec 9 00:13:57 UTC 2005

Hi,

I didn't see anything on the faq of an easy way to do this but here is my
situation:

I would like to import users from another sql database into the mysql
database for one of my wiki sites.

I already have the query that grabs the usernames/password in a txt file
from the sql database, but I'm not sure how to properly insert them into the
wiki db as normal users or sysops. Ideally only a few of these users will
have sysop permissions and the rest will be regular users.

Also when a password is changed in the sql db, I will need to change it in
the wiki db(will have to code the condition that compares passwords of
course). When a user is deactivated in the sql db(another condition I will
have to code to check to see if that user exists in the wiki user table) I
would like to scramble that users password since you can't simply delete a
user. I would also like to automate this process on a nightly basis.

Is this at all possible? We can definitely code this if it is possible since
we have a couple of developers in house.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

-Isaac