[Mediawiki-l] categories and orphans

Bob Marinier rmarinie at eecs.umich.edu
Tue Aug 23 19:10:22 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm adding content to a new wiki for a research project, and one of the
things we want to do is have lists of useful publications, organized
into various categories (some publications may be in multiple
categories).  Each publication will have it's own page with an
abstract.  It seems that MediaWiki's category feature is perfect for
this kind of thing, except for one issue -- the publications pages
aren't linked to/from anywhere, so they all appear as orphans.  This
really clutters the orphans list, making it impossible to tell what the
"real" orphans are.

Does anyone know of a good workaround to this problem?  The only thing I
can think of is creating a dummy page which links to all of the
publications pages, but that's such a hack!

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bob Marinier
University of Michigan