[Mediawiki-l] Patch (Boy Scout Patches) Wiki

Michael Griepentrog mgriepentrog at wi.rr.com
Sat Aug 6 01:27:02 UTC 2005

Hi everyone,

For those who don't know, the 2005 National Scout Jamboree ended Wednesday
(I was fortunate enough to go).  One popular activity there is patch
trading.  After coming back, I wanted to know what other patches there were,
and to my disappointment, found no such website.  This is where MediaWiki
comes in, but my only dilemma is how everything should be organized.

Basically this is how Boy Scouts is organized:
National

----- Council

|     |

|     ----- District

|     |

|     ----- District

----- Council

. and so on

I would like it where they can see patches by council/district, but there
are also special events like Jamborees where they use the same council name,
but there can't be two of the same name on a wiki.  There is also a Jamboree
every 4 years, so it also needs to be set-up in a way where different years
could be used at the same time (same council names are also used).

I have a basic framework setup at:
http://magriep.com/bspdb/index.php?title=Main_Page

But one thing I'm not really sure of is what should be categories of what,
especially with special events like the jamboree.  I have the basic
framework (sort of) for councils and districts but I'm unsure on how to show
information from Jamborees without it being to complex.

I know I may sound vague, you kind of have to know a little about patch
trading and boy scouts to fully understand, but I can elaborate if needed.

I'd greatly appreciate any help, I'm new to running a wiki, so I don't know
exactly what features can be used in this situation.

Thanks in advance,

Michael Griepentrog