[Mediawiki-l] Re: Trying to make images redirect to category pages - no luck

Juanma Barranquero lekktu at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 07:33:12 UTC 2005

On 4/28/05, Jan Steinman <Jan at bytesmiths.com> wrote:

> > #REDIRECT [[:Category:Windows]]
>
> There was a thread on this a while ago. I was trying to do the same
> thing.
>
> Basically, you Can't Do That(TM).

If you have access to the Apache config (assuming you're using
Apache), you can define an interwiki link like:

  c => http://yourhost/category/$1

and setup Apache to redirect:

  RedirectMatch permanent "^/category/(.*)" http://yourserver/wiki/Category:$1

so you can do

  #REDIRECT [c:MiCategory]

I have not tested this with categories, but I have used the exact same
setup to do #REDIRECT's to external targets, so it *should* work...

Of course, it is not exactly the same that a true redirect to a
Category (backlinks to edit the redirection page won't exist, for
example), but as a temporary measure (until MediaWiki implements
category redirects) it can be useful.

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u