[Mediawiki-l] Re: How can I drive these Language.php changes into my Wiki?

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Wed Apr 20 21:32:04 UTC 2005

John Blumel (johnblumel at earthlink.net) [050421 04:00]:
> On Apr 20, 2005, at 1:27pm, Hínandil wrote:

> >>IMHO, a way to quickly find which opages have a non-default content
> >>would be very useful.

> >That's very easy.  The ones which have been modified will be listed
> >with a pink background in Special:Allmessages, making them very easy
> >to find by skimming down the page.

> I think perhaps he was suggesting a Special:Custommessages, to make it
> easier to find them and not have to worry about skipping by some with
> an accidental, double "page down". (I wonder how visible a pink
> background is to someone who is red colorblind?)
> Given that the number of messages likely to be customized is relatively
> small and (probably) a relatively constant set (per wiki), and that the
> total number of messages is quite large, it would be nice to have an
> easy way to work with just the ones you have modified from the
> defaults.

Mmm, yes. This is one of the things that I really, really like about
FreeBSD: *every* startup setting is in /etc/defaults/rc.conf, and you never
touch that, but everything you've changed is in /etc/rc.conf. It saves a
tremendous amount of fiddling with obscure files in /etc. Would the
same approach be useful in MediaWiki?

- d.