[Mediawiki-l] How to treat "Images" simply as "files"?

Matt England mengland at mengland.net
Tue Apr 19 19:19:06 UTC 2005

Hello,

I want to use my MediaWiki site (which is SSL "firewalled") for software
development purposes (and related things).  Most of the time the uploaded
files will not be "images" but rather just a "file".

I want these image/file references (a la [[Image:Some_uploaded_file.zip]] )
to not be processed as an "image."  How can I do this?  What markup do I
use?  Currently my reference above looks like a "sunken box" with the
filename text inside of it on my page...as if the page is trying to
process/display it as an image?

I wish there was a mode I can put MediaWiki such that it doesn't assume
that all uploaded files are "images".  Does anything exist?  Maybe a
separate namespace for File: separate from Image: ...and associated code
handling...this way I can get the best of both worlds?

(I already went through and disabled most of all the upload-file-type
prevention stuff in DefaultSettings.php in 1.4.0.)

-Matt