[Mediawiki-l] Missing Image, problems with LocalSettings.php

Benjamin FrantzDale frantzdale3i at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 19:48:21 UTC 2005

I've googled and looked over the documenatation at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/ and havn't found answers to the
following:

First, some images show correctly for at least some logged-in users
but show as "Missing image" when I'm not logged in. Any ideas?

Second, I'm trying to add to the list of allowable file types.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Help:Images_and_other_uploaded_files is
the best reference I found. It says to add, for example,
  $wgFileExtensions = array( 'png', 'gif', 'jpg', 'jpeg', 'ogg', 'zip', 'mpg');
to LocalSettings.php. I did that but it still won't let me upload a
.mpg. It tells me
  The file you uploaded seems to be empty. This might be due to a typo in the
   file name. Please check whether you really want to upload this file.

Is there something I need to do to make the changes take effect?