[Mediawiki-l] export wiki to PDF

White, Steve S [NTK] Joseph.S.White at mail.sprint.com
Fri Apr 8 13:48:08 UTC 2005

Export of a given article in a Wiki to PDF is nearly trivial using wget,
tidy, html2ps and ps2pdf:

<?php
$page = $_GET['page'];
$content=`export HOME=/home/apache;links -source \
http://localhost/wikids/index.php/$page | clip.pl | /usr/local/bin/tidy
| \
/usr/local/bin/html2ps | /usr/bin/ps2pdf - -`;
header('Content-type: application/pdf');
header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=$page.pdf");
print $content;
?>

clip.pl is a simple perl parser to strip out the nav bar and the like
and leave only the article div; any perl neophyte should be able to hack
it together. I added a link to the standard template on the intranet
wiki I administer, "Get PDF of this page"; it basically just calls
[http://evo.mydomain.com/pdfgen/index.php?page={{NAMESPACE}}:{{PAGENAMEE
}} Get PDF of this page]

I might not want to try this on something like Wikipedia ( all the
disk/memory action involved in the multiple conversions might push the
system load over-the-top ), but on a fairly busy intranet wiki, the load
is nominal, and it's a quick-and-useful hack. :D

Have a good one!

Steve