[Mediawiki-l] bots and non-english characters?

John Blumel johnblumel at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 6 18:59:14 UTC 2005

Has anyone had success with submitting data that contains non-English
characters via a bot? I'm currently working on some Perl scripts to
extract and upload data from a number of external sources related to
the subject of our wiki -- thanks, James Birkholz, for the extension
code by I decided to go another way -- and some of this material
consists of translations of foreign (esp., French and Irish) terms that
contain various accented characters.

The basic bot is working -- login, upload 1 or more articles, logout,
produce some reports on what happened -- but I haven't had much success
with uploading articles non-standard characters. For those familiar
with Perl, I'm using the LWP modules (LWP::UserAgent and
HTTP::Request::Common, mostly) and thought I might be able to handle
this using the URI::Escape module, but no success.

The best workaround I have so far is to replace the characters with
HTML entities but that interferes with searching for the terms once
they are uploaded.

Any suggestions, advice, or pointers to helpful resources would be
appreciated.

John Blumel