[Mediawiki-l] Re: wikifarm

Jamie Bliss astronouth7303 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 22:15:21 UTC 2005

On Apr 5, 2005 4:35 AM, Ira Abramov <lists-MediaWiki-l at ira.abramov.org> wrote:
> Quoting Jan Steinman, from the post of Wed, 30 Mar:
> >
> > >While working with my wiki, I want to create different layouts for
> > >different peaces of my wiki. I could just install different
> > >mediawiki's, but that is a bit too much space consuming...
> >
> > I installed *one* copy of MediaWiki 1.4, then wrote a script that
> > duplicated the directory structure and hard-linked the files. Result is
> > multiple wikis in nearly the same space. (Unix only -- I don't think
> > you can do that in Windows.)
>
> well, hardlinks, surprisingly enough, are possible in Woodnose, but M$
> will not admit it openly, rather burry this fact deep in some MSDN
> article they hope nobody reads :-)

Yes... I remember doing that for a system file that was always locked.
Deleting it was a pain, though...

Anyway, for those literate in C, it involves a call to
CreateHardLink(), which is defined as:
BOOL CreateHardLink(
  LPCTSTR lpFileName,                         // link name name
  LPCTSTR lpExistingFileName,                 // target file name
  LPSECURITY_ATTRIBUTES lpSecurityAttributes
);

I'll send anyone the short program I have (I can't say I wrote it,
don't remember) to make a hard link. The API is only supported,
however, on 2k and XP.

-- Jamie