[Mediawiki-l] Templates - not understanding a concept

Richards,Michael Michael.Richards at gartner.com
Fri Sep 17 20:10:10 UTC 2004

If I understand what you are asking for, you can use the substitution ("subst") syntax with a template.

For example, lets says you have Template:foo with the outline you talked about. When you create a new article, you can put {{subst:foo}} in the edit box and press Show Preview. This will display the content of Template:foo at the top, but still show "{{subst:foo}}" in the edit box (but only temporarily, until you save). You can either
- save, and then re-edit the article and customize the text (although this creates one extra edit, no big deal) or
- copy the text from the previewed text into the edit box (which only works if there is no formatting, as that will be lost).

This is more fully explained in the template help:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Template#subst

Michael Richards