[Mediawiki-l] Templates - not understanding a concept

Craig Hartel craig at nuclearmoose.com
Tue Sep 14 22:22:06 UTC 2004

Hello, all.

I have a question about templates. I understand that they are excellent for
building things that one might wish to repeat on many pages, so having the
template saves a lot of extra work. Not only that, if you need to update the
content, you need only update the template, and the changes show up everywhere.
That part I get, but here is what I'm wondering:

If I had a page structure that I wanted people to use, would that be
appropriately done with a template? For example, if I had a few sections, like
"Description", "Requirements", "Download" etc., would it make sense to build a
template with those pre-built as section headings? Could I then create custom
stubs and include them in the template? The custom stub would be like "Add the
product description here, blah, blah, blah."

I have this in mind because there will be a lot of pages that we want to look
exactly alike, save for the actual content. How could I set this up so that they
use the template to start a new page from scratch?

Hmm...lots of questions in this one. Thank you in advance for your assistance in
clarifying my understanding of templates.

Craig Hartel
http://codex.wordpress.org/