[Mediawiki-l] Handler for file:// type URLs?

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 22:24:13 UTC 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 15:09:00 -0700, Brierley, Mike
<mbrierley at co.marin.ca.us> wrote:
> Would I use file:// for excel docs and word docs? And if so, could
> someone provide an example of how a link might look? (Code)
> I've tried this example and still do not get a working link.

Your question suggests to me a misunderstanding: the "file:///" (as
opposed to, say "http://") is related to the *location* of the
document, not its type. Be they HTML web-pages, XLS spreadsheets, or
MP3 music tracks, files exist somewhere, and that somewhere is the
target of your link. If the somewhere is on the web, you have a URI
that goes like "http://foo.example.com/bar/baz.quux"; if on your
hard-drive, or on your network, you need to describe it in terms of
the network, and you end up with something like [I think]
"file:///server/folder/subfolder/file.extension". So in wiki-code
(once you've modified the Parser.php, as described at
http://tinyurl.com/4sf3z) you type:

[file:///server/folder/subfolder/file.extension Description of link]

Hope this helps.

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]