[Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki 1.3.6 upgrade performance

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Fri Oct 15 18:04:48 UTC 2004

On Oct 15, 2004, at 3:04 AM, Paul Sinnett wrote:
> I've just upgraded from 1.3.3 and I now have a big reduction in
> performance. I checked my raw access logs and it seems that for each
> GET of a page it does a dozens of GET's on
>
> title=User:Paul_Sinnett/monobook.css&action...
> title=User:Paul_Sinnett/monobook.js&action...
> title=-&action...
>
> Is this normal? I don't have any of these pages defined but it takes
> about 10 seconds to make these attempts.

Can you please check the exact URLs it's using, and compare against
your $wgServer and $wgScript settings?

1.3.6 has some extra checks for an Internet Explorer security hole
where a URL ending in ".txt", ".html" or some other "extension" it
recognizes is sometimes interpreted as HTML (with arbitrary JavaScript
execution) instead of according to the set Content-Type header. If a
raw page request isn't coming from the canonical URL it's thus
redirected to the canonical URL.

That redirect might perhaps be failing if you have a funky setting. You
might also try checking the actual headers being sent (use Mozilla and
install the 'Live HTTP Headers' extension for an easy way to check.)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)