[Mediawiki-l] Special character in links

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 18:27:11 UTC 2004

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 18:41:55 +0200, Giovanni <gputignano at tiscali.it> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've set up a wiki about programming.
> When I write, for example, [[C++]] as link, this don't give me a correct link. Is this a bug or there is a solution?

Neither. Article names containing certain characters are not allowed,
because they would be misinterpretted by the server and/or browser,
potential leading to bugs or even security breaches. +, for instance,
is used in URLs to represent a space, so the URL "...path/to/wiki/C++"
would be interprettes as "...path/to/wiki/C"

The English Wikipedia uses the name [[C Plus Plus]] for its article on
the language, and adds a template explaining that this is not the
"correct" title. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Naming_conventions_%28technical_restrictions%29
which includes a list of disallowed characters.
--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]