[Mediawiki-l] Upgrading

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 16:42:11 UTC 2004

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 14:30:53 +0200, Marko Faas <argus at dds.nl> wrote:
> Would it be sufficient to search though the 1.3.5 package for any files
> changed after 090904, the release date of 1.3.3, and only upload those?

Yes, I see no reason why not. It seems to me that it would be easier
to just upload all the latest versions, whether they have changed or
not, since over-writing a file with an identical one won't change
anything anyway. You'd have to avoid any files that you had modified
by hand, of course, but that is true whichever approach you take: if
the file you had modified had also changed between 1.3.3 and 1.3.5,
you'd still have to work out what to do.

As far as I know, none of the install scripts or anything else changes
anything other than the settings files, so you should be able to be
pretty sure that something you haven't changed is just the version
that you uploaded from 1.3.3

> Of course if the database has been changed, this also have to be done.
> But I prefer to do that manually (if the changes are not too big).
> How do I know if the database has been changed?

I'm pretty sure there haven't been any database changes in the last
couple of minor releases, so this shouldn't be a problem.

> Mediawiki 1.4. can be done with the complete re-install again.

I believe that in the past (e.g. from 1.2 to 1.3), the installer has
been made to detect existing databases and alter them to reflect the
newer schema. Backups are recommended, and you may need to merge your
old LocalSettings.php with the one the installer generates, but there
shouldn't be a need to create a completely fresh install.

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]