[Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki 1.3.7 plus Enotif 1.34 <minor update to 1.33>

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Fri Nov 5 18:28:47 UTC 2004

On Nov 5, 2004, at 3:41 AM, Thomas Rother wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
> I talked to Brion & Co on IRC about Enotif some time ago.
>
> Can you tell me, why enotif is not part of the official codebase?

a) It's not done yet; while Tom has a more or less working patch there
are still a number of code & localization maintainability issues with
it.

b) Since it requires database format changes, it definitely will not
ever be included in a 1.3 bugfix release. It may be included in the
upcoming 1.4 major release once remaining issues are sorted out.

c) Since change notification is a generalizable issue, it would be
preferable to rework it to use generic extension hooks: this means
reworking it so that some backend parts go into the main distribution,
and some parts might be provided as a drop-in extension package. Among
other things the preferences form needs to be reworked to allow
extensions to add fields easily.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)