[Mediawiki-l] Mediawiki extension API

Jamie Bliss astronouth7303 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 20:01:55 UTC 2004

I know that a lot of the HTML tags were dropped, but the problem of
MediaWiki caching means that either: (A) A lot of code has to be added
to the cacher to detect dynamic content, or (B) that the actually HTML
stored in the cache is static (that doesn't mean that the content
downloaded by the browser as a result of those tags must be static).
The EXPIRES header would be good for the secondary page.

And even if <iframe> has been dropped from the official spec, they are
still heavily used (Gooogle and SourceForge are 2 examples).

So if perfect validation is a concern, you shouldn't use <iframe>
specifically. The basic concept (dynamic support files or secondary
content) is still the same, even if the specific implementation is
different.