[Licom-l] Document review - motivation for the license change

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed Mar 18 17:21:04 UTC 2009

2009/3/18 Robert Rohde <rarohde at gmail.com>:
> Based on people I've talked to, the most common objection seems to be
> that some people feel CC-BY-SA makes it too easy to reuse content
> without providing "adequate" attribution to authors.  In particular,
> people object to the idea of putting attribution and licensing
> information behind a URL since that may be inaccessible offline or
> subject to failure is webpages move or die.

I want to note that this is not an inherent property of CC-BY-SA but
rather of the terms of conditions that we're proposing to use
alongside CC-BY-SA. (CC-BY-SA essentially allows the author to specify
their preferred method of attribution.) The attribution section of the
Q&A needs some love; I'll try to focus some attention to it as part of
a general document overhaul today.

Erik
--
Erik Möller