[Licom-l] LiCom blog

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 20:44:54 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/3/17 Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org>:
>> How do all of you feel about having a dedicated blog for the licensing
>> update committee, to help people follow the process? Will we have
>> enough to say?
>>

> That sounds like a good idea.  At the very least we could notify
> people about new pages that need translation. :-)  It's probably
> easier for people to follow a blog (they can just get it sent directly
> to a reader) rather than to have them read our archives.

There is a need for some form of recognizable communications hub.  I
don't know that a blog is necessarily the format I would choose, but I
won't object if that is what people are comfortable with.

The downside is that a blog will generally only reach a self-selected
group of engaged parties.  For people who want to be involved (e.g.
the translators you mention) that can work.  However, I would be wary
of relying too much on a blog for general, broad-focus announcements.
At times when we may want to push an announcement to a larger
community I think it makes more sense to work with the existing system
of mailing lists and on-wiki noticeboards.

Or perhaps put more simply, I think the audience for a message will
influence the question of what the best distribution vehicle for the
message is.

-Robert Rohde