[Licom-l] Licensing update live on en.wp

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Tue Jun 16 01:41:55 UTC 2009

I've updated MediaWiki:Copyrightwarning, MediaWiki:Copyright and
MediaWiki:Edittools on en.wp and wikimediafoundation.org with the new
licensing terms. There's also a reference copy of the new terms of use
at <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use>. To get this
properly rolled out on all wikis, there's still lots of work to be
done:

1) We need the above UI messages to be readied for translation,
perhaps through translatewiki.net.
2) After a short translation period (a few days), I would like us to
force-update all WMF sites that currently use the GFDL, or the
temporary "licensing clause for new wikis", to the same reference
terms as shown on en.wp and wikimediafoundation.org or the existing
translation.
3) We need to make sure that old messages do not appear, e.g., when a
user changes the UI language.
4) We need the site-embedded metadata to change from GFDL to CC-BY-SA.
(GFDL only applies with conditions specified in the Terms of Use.)

Brion is just back from vacation tomorrow, and hopefully will be able
to help coordinate the Wikimedia-wide (with the known exceptions)
implementation.

(I did, indeed, have nothing to do with the Commons updates. As noted
on http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Licensing_update/Implementation
there's not much point in wikis doing their own implementation as ours
will likely override any project-local changes. But there's no real
harm in it either,)
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation