[Licom-l] Deleted Content

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Mon Apr 20 17:11:09 UTC 2009

I believe the drafters of the GFDL (primarily law professor Eben Moglen)
knew that "publish" has a precise legal meaning that is distinct from
"making public."  I also freely concede they did not anticipate the issue of
"hidden" texts -- which probably means the drafters should be understood as
having been neutral on the question.

That said, I would point out that my interpretation is not only legally
defensible but also involves the least amount of thinking and juggling and
confusion with regard to implementation.

I would add that, in my view, text is "live" even if hidden, so long as it
is possible for some administrator to recover it be inspecting the database.

If we want to keep this simple, we won't overthink this based on edge cases.

--Mike