[Licom-l] Deleted Content

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Mon Apr 20 16:07:07 UTC 2009

I'm sorry for being unclear.  My answer in this hypothetical would be this:

Whether the article is "live" or not is, in my view, orthogonal to the
question of whether it is part of the MMC that is being relicensed.  A
"dead" article, or an article that was scarcely viewed before it was hidden,
is part of the MMC by virtue of the fact that it can be restored at some
later date.

The confusion lies in the conflation of the notions of (1) publication and
(2) made publicly available.  Although in common language, the two notions
are identical or close ot it, in legal terms they are analytically distinct.
Hiding an article for lack of notability (for example) doesn't make it
nonpublished. It has still been published, and you can't unring that bell by
hiding it. (Also, making the article available at all and having it exist in
the MMC database, though hidden, is still publication for legal purposes, in
my view.)

Note that the answer becomes different if the article is wholly removed --
not merely hidden, but actually nonpresent, even in hidden form -- from the
MMC during the relicensing.  But that's not normally how we proceed.

--Mike