[Licom-l] RTL

Casey Brown cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 20:51:47 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Robert Rohde <rarohde at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 8:10 AM, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 8:57 PM, Robert Rohde <rarohde at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm not sure how it is normally accomplished, but it has been pointed
>>> out that the vote wiki is not supporting the rtl=1 flag to convert
>>> orientation to the right-to-left format used in Hebrew, Arabic, and
>>> some other languages.  For people that have no idea what I am taking
>>> about, here is Meta with the rtl flag:
>>>
>>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/?rtl=1
>>>

>> It's something we added to the js/css files, you need:
>> * <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Common.js> (see the part
>> that says // ability to pull [[MediaWiki:Gadget-rtl.css]] on
>> individual page loads by [[testwiki:User:Splarka]] and
>> [[wm2008:User:Mr.Z-man]])
>> * <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Gadget-rtl.css>
>>
>> Just adding those and purging should do the trick.  There might be
>> other problems -- if so, Tim would probably be able to help. :-)
>
> :-) That takes care of the &rtl=1 in urls.  Thanks.
>
> Actually it would probably be even better to automatically apply that
> stylesheet whenever the user's language is set to an RTL language and
> not just when rtl=1 is embedded in the URL.  Got any code samples to
> do that?  ;-)

It *might* be possible.  I'm CC'ing some gurus on this message.
Splarka/Alex, we would need it to work for the following languages:
ar, arz, dv, fa, ha, he, ps, ug, ur, yi.  Could we somehow make it so
that if ?uselang=[one of those codes], then the
MediaWiki:Gadget-rtl.css will be called too?

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---