[Licom-l] License transition vote setup

Michael Schultheiss schultmc at spi-inc.org
Fri Apr 10 15:26:05 UTC 2009

Robert Rohde wrote:
> Michael,
>
> I was doing some editing on the wiki yesterday evening and noticed
> intermittent problems on a number of occasions.  Typically I would
> observe that the page I was looking at loaded okay but one or more
> ancillary items (e.g. toolbar icons, stylesheets, etc.) would not show
> up.  This was especially noticeable at times when the main stylesheet
> seemed to not load so my browser displayed an unformatted page.  (Has
> anyone else witnessed this behavior?)
>
> If I am seeing some problems all by myself, I am concerned what might
> happen when we let the rampaging hordes of Wikipedians loose.
>
> I am wondering if you might check your server logs for error messages
> that might explain intermittent failures of content to load.
>
> Since all of the wiki's content is being run though SSL, is it
> possible that the extra overhead associated with all of Mediawiki's
> CSS, JS, and other calls is overtaxing things?  Even given Mediawiki
> propensity to call up lots of supplemental pages it doesn't seem
> reasonable that a single editor could be bad enough to cause dropped
> connections.
>
> Or perhaps Tim may have some ideas for what can cause requests to
> occasionally fail on an otherwise clean install.
>
> Unfortunately since the problem was intermittent (and often fixed by
> hitting reload) I don't really have any direct way to demonstrate it.

The error logs have entries like:

[Fri Apr 10 15:15:35 2009] [error] access to
/skins/common/commonPrint.css failed for 87.186.103.210, reason: Client
exceeded connection limit.

I can look into increasing the connection limits but that server has
rather limited resources and I'd hate to overload it.

--
Michael Schultheiss
E-mail: schultmc at spi-inc.org