[Licom-l] Scheduling

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 23:41:56 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Tim Starling <tstarling at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> I'm currently calculating the voter lists (that is, counting edits
> before March 15), that should be done tomorrow morning my time (UTC+1).
> I've sent Michael Schultheiss instructions on setting up his end, and
> I'm hoping to get some response from him before that time, with
> something set up and working during the day.
>
> Beta testing, translation of the last few MW messages that I added
> recently, and transfer of the vote question translations from Meta to
> the SecurePoll system will likely take a couple of days. That takes us
> through to Friday or Saturday.
>
> I'd like to be around at the time of the vote start, and for a few hours
> afterwards for debugging. I have various negotiable social committments
> over the Easter weekend, same as most people I guess. I also have a
> non-negotiable appointment with a flight from London to Sydney on Monday
> (dep. 11:15 UTC).
>
> So I think it comes down to: do we want to aim for a launch during the
> Easter long weekend? Or should we leave it until Tuesday or Wednesday
> after I get back to Sydney? Presumably some of you will have work to do
> around the launch time (CentralNotice, etc.), and I don't know how you
> will feel about doing it on the weekend.

Assuming we have enough time to test and convince ourselves that
everything is in place and working, then I would prefer a weekend
launch.

In terms of availability at the time of the launch, the weekend would
actually be better for me than the work week.  Like Tim, I have some
flexible commitments, but that can be negotiated.  I'm agnostic on
Saturday vs. Sunday, except to note that we have a habit of
underestimating the time needs, so Sunday might be safer.  On the
other hand Easter creates its own set of conflicts.

-Robert Rohde