[Labs-l] [tools] [kubernetes] [node] NodeJS webservices on Kubernetes may need npm packages to be rebuilt

Marko Obrovac mobrovac at wikimedia.org
Fri Feb 10 19:05:17 UTC 2017

Hello,

Just a clarification: these steps should be needed only if your tool is
using binary modules. There are edge cases where the compilation might
fail, so please try it locally first with the version v6.9.1 of Node.

Cheers,
Marko

On 10 February 2017 at 03:01, Magnus Manske <magnusmanske at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> Many thanks for finding and fixing it!
>
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 4:50 PM Bryan Davis <bd808 at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
>> Magnus ran into a problem with one of his tools [0] that may affect
>> others as well.
>>
>> The version of Node used for WMF's production services running on
>> Debian Jessie has been upgraded to v6.9.1 recently [1].  We also
>> rebuilt the Docker base images that are used to run tools on
>> Kubernetes on 2017-02-08 and subsequently restarted all of the
>> Kubernetes tools to pick up the new containers and switch to a newer
>> version of the Docker runtime [2].
>>
>> This Node version update may be incompatible with some npm installed
>> packages built with the previous version of node. The fix for Magnus'
>> tool was:
>>
>>   $ webservice stop
>>   $ webservice --backend=kubernetes nodejs shell
>>   $ cd www/js
>>   $ mv node_modules node_modules-old
>>   $ npm install
>>   $ exit
>>   $ webservice --backend=kubernetes nodejs start
>>

>> [0]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T157678
>> [1]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T149331
>> [2]: https://tools.wmflabs.org/sal/log/AVocMWWhHQCSeVEJfJFA
>>
>> Bryan
>> --
>> Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd808 at wikimedia.org>
>> [[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA
>> irc: bd808                                        v:415.839.6885 x6855
>> <(415)%20839-6885>

Marko Obrovac, PhD
Senior Services Engineer
Wikimedia Foundation