[Labs-l] Can we get the Labs Project Board for Grafana working again>

Antoine Musso hashar+wmf at free.fr
Tue Sep 20 10:34:56 UTC 2016

On 13/09/16 10:34, Filippo Giunchedi wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 7:08 PM, Addshore <addshorewiki at gmail.com
> <mailto:addshorewiki at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hmm, I missed the comments on the ticket regarding removing the labs
>     datasource from the production grafana.
>     Is it really that confusing having a datasource called 'graphite'
>     and one called 'graphite-labs' ?
>     It's now impossible to make a dashboard using data from both sources
>     for example.
>

> The original motivation for not mixing production and labs datasources
> in https://grafana.wikimedia.org is the expectation that all data
> displayed was from production. grafana-labs though has both datasources
> so it should be possible to do what you mentioned.

Hello,

I finally understood the motivation to have a second Grafana board,
which is to grant any labs user the ability to create a dashboard
without disturbing the WMF ones.

So we now have:

https://grafana.wikimedia.org/
   Datasource: production graphite
   Admins: restricted: nda/ops/wmf/grafana-admin LDAP groups

https://grafana-labs.wikimedia.org/
   Datasource: production graphite AND labs graphite
   Admins: wikitech users

The use case of mixing up labs and prod datasource was very narrow and
from the task I was apparently the one having such case
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T120295#2420973

End result: grafana-labs.wikimedia.org is wide open and is probably the
one anyone would want to use by default.

--------

As for this thread original request:

> It’s been broken for almost a month now, and I’m very dependent on it
> when monitoring my project.  To make matters worse, my project
> doesn’t even show up on the list anymore.
>
> I would really appreciate it if this could be fixed.

I have filled https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T146136

"Migrate Graphana dashboard "labs-project-board" from prod to labs
Graphana instance"

Since I have no idea how to migrate a dashboard between instances.

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso