[Labs-l] Localizing Citation Hunt - best practices for translating tools?

Guilherme Gonçalves guilherme.p.gonc at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 20:00:00 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

I develop a tool called Citation Hunt
<https://tools.wmflabs.org/citationhunt/> for browsing through snippets of
Wikipedia articles lacking citations in a quick and fun way. I actually
started it nearly a year ago, but it has lately gained some traction after
being used in the #1Lib1Ref
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/The_Wikipedia_Library/1Lib1Ref> campaign.
It was quite a surprise to learn I'm not the only user of my tool, and I've
had a lot of fun lately hearing and addressing feedback from various people
:)

It seems like the obvious next step is to get the tool translated to other
languages than English. I have an experimental version
<https://tools.wmflabs.org/citationhunt/fr> indexing the French Wikipedia,
and hope to implement at least another language in the next few weeks, and
of course have their whole interfaces translated into the corresponding
languages.

Which brings me to my question: what are the best practices for making a
tool available for localization, especially for non-technical translators?
I found https://translatewiki.net/ through another tool, and, while it
looks great, the low number of projects listed on that page led me to
wonder whether I was missing another better-known solution.

Thanks a lot!
--
Guilherme P. Gonçalves