[Labs-l] [NEW] Self-service git repository creation for tools

Huji Lee huji.huji at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 14:21:31 UTC 2016

I have more concerns about Phabricator and I am going to follow Ladgroup's
suit and express them here, but feel free to redirect me:

1) With recent changes, Phabricator now uses Diffusion over Gerrit. Even
though Diffusion is presumably just "mirroring" Gerrit for most projects,
still when you go to a project's page the cloning URI you get is a
Diffusion URI. If I clone using that and submit a patch, it won't go to
Gerrit. That means the patch won't be reviewed. This is bad practice.

2) When I go to a project's page (e.g.
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/203/ ), it does not provide
a link to its Diffusion page (e.g.
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/diffusion/ECHU/ ). Finding a project's
source needs several clicks. (Is it the same complaint Ladsgroup  made?)

3) The SSH clone URI always starts with vcs at git-ssh ...; unless I totally
don't get how it work with Diffusion, I expect the git SSH URIs to start
with one's username (in my case huji at git-ssh ..., just like the case with
Gerrit where we use something like *ssh*://<USERNAME>@
gerrit.wikimedia.org:29418/*mediawiki*/ ). I would expect that when I am
logged in to Phabricator, it also shows me a clone URI that already
contains my username.

Overall, I like Phabricator over Gerrit (it is unified, has better UI,
etc.) but I am at a point (again!) where I feel like the core developers
who do this for a living are changing things around without paying
attention to usability and documentation to the point that occasional
developers like me could also quickly contribute.

</venting off>

Huji