[Labs-l] [Labs-announce] Instance creation and security group handling issues in Liberty

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Thu Aug 11 01:10:26 UTC 2016

The issues discussed in this email are now resolved.

Instance creation on Horizon and Wikitech has been re-enabled. After
some discussion we've decided to enable security group editing on
Horizon but leave it disabled on Wikitech -- the Horizon interface is
generally nicer, more feature-rich, and more reliable.  Please go to
Horizon for any future security group needs.

There were two bugs that triggered this incident.  One of them[1]
prevented enforcement of firewall rules in certain cases, and the
other[2] enforced rules but updated them very haphazardly.  Both issues
are now well understood, with patches in place and proper long-term
solutions underway.

We have not yet written a full incident report, but when we do it will
most likely be here:
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Incident_documentation/20160805-LabsSecurityGroups

Sorry for the inconvenience!

-Andrew