[Labs-l] Debugging web service failure

Morten Wang nettrom at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 17:00:04 UTC 2016

I'm currently having an issue with SuggestBot's (tools.suggestbot) web
services failing after a while, resulting in a 503 (service unavailable).
The web service process on the grid appears to be running, but it also
appears to be unreachable.

There is nothing in the error.log nor the access.log that suggests anything
happened to lighttpd, and I am unsure about what debug settings to add to
make it possible to log any errors. The fastcgi.debug setting doesn't
appear to reveal anything. In other words, I've reached the end of my
abilities to figure this out, and thus I wonder:

What are some best practices when it comes to debugging what is going on?

Cheers,
Morten