[Labs-l] DRMAA on Labs

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Thu Sep 10 18:11:59 UTC 2015

Yuvi Panda <yuvipanda at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I would only do that if Johannes has a (longer-term) inter-
>> est in that:

> Assuming:

> # We follow up and uninstall it if it isn't used
> # No others start using it in the meantime just because it is available

> Usually people don't know / find out if a package is installed in a
> 'supported' way and just use it and get sad if it breaks, and it's
> just easier to stick to 'all package installs through puppet'. Is ok
> to do manually and just file a bug and/or make a puppet patch so we
> don't forget - mail threads get lost, manual installs get forgotten...

If someone gets sad, I would comfort them with the knowledge
that I didn't file bugs or prepare patches because my time
is as limited as theirs, but I (or anyone else) would fix
that situation /then/ in a jiffy.

But if I'd have to fear that me trying to help Johannes to
test something is held against me by other users who just
blindly assumed that they can rely on arbitrary packages be-
ing installed, I probably wouldn't try to help anyone at
all.  And I would be quite surprised because we don't list
all packages that are installed on the hosts in the various
Puppet manifests, but only those that users actively re-
quested, even if that means that some (other) users might
get sad.

Tim