[Labs-l] Lag reporting on lab db replicas

Yetkin Sakal superyetkin at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 26 17:49:10 UTC 2015

How about doing this per wiki?

    On Thursday, November 26, 2015 10:19 AM, Jaime Crespo <jcrespo at wikimedia.org> wrote:

 > So even if the replicas don't get updated the heartbeat will report them as up to date?

Not sure exactly what you mean with that. The masters will be updated continuously every 0.5 seconds (all slaves are read only- no writes are done there). If replication works, and slaves get updated, that will mean that they will receive the heartbeat with the same replication channel than the rest of the updates. If replication doesn't work, and replicas do not get updated, they will not receive the heartbeat either, as it comes from replication in order. If replication stops/fails, heartbeat update will stop (from the slave perspective), and lag will start to increase from your perspective (difference between last timestamp written and current time).

This measures the replication lag (aka difference with the master), not the last time an edit was done by a user, which was what the first link I sent measured. In other words, if jaimewiki receives only user edits every hour, heartbeat will still do a write to its master every half a seconds, thus proving that it is up to date with that resolution. You can still check the last user edit by checking recentchanges.

The only reason this could fail (heartbeat updated but wiki not) is if there was a specific filter denying replication but allowing hearbeat, only done for specific tables and private wikis. Also the production master could have a problem, but that would affect the wikis itselves, not only labs.

To give you an idea of the accuracy of this method, we (will) use it on production to decide if a slave is usable or not to return up-to-date data.

For more information on how this works, check <https://www.percona.com/doc/percona-toolkit/2.1/pt-heartbeat.html#description>