[Labs-l] Simultaneous job limits?

John phoenixoverride at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 10:41:10 UTC 2015

Actually python is fairly easy to get muti-threaded, and with a little more
work you can even get muti-processing working. All you really need is a
master worker that monitors the number of workers and limits the spawn of
additional workers. I use a 6 worker multi-process when doing my database
dump scans, each worker processes 500 pages and then dies. When the master
process sees a sub-process die it grabs another 500 pages from the work
queue and launches a replacement process. With a little monitoring and
tweaking you can adjust both the amount of work and number of workers to
work withing a reasonable resource limit. This way the work can still get
done fairly quickly and you are only using one job queue slot. (Each slot
isnt limited to a single process, it just calculates total resource usage
and compares that to the limits set, and if a job exceeds the max set it
kills it.) Depending on what your bounding factor is either mut-threading
or muti-processing should work for you without too much headache in the
conversion.