[Labs-l] Questions regarding the Labs Terms of use

Marc A. Pelletier marc at uberbox.org
Fri Mar 13 18:46:18 UTC 2015

On 15-03-13 02:30 PM, Rainer Rillke wrote:
> What to do if file permissions are set in
> a way one can't see the code... or, as suggested it is compiled and/or
> obfuscated. Would that be against Lab's spirit of promoting openSource?

It is, and isn't.  Part of the issue is that we do not mandate coding
guidelines or review - which means that it's entirely possible that some
otherwise perfectly legitimate bit of code cannot be made publicly
readable because it contains hardcoded credentials, for instance.

We work Labs (and Tool Labs) under the principle of trusting the users.
 We presume that everything that is not world-readable is for a good
reason and generally do not interfere.

If you'd like to see some code that is running but for which the
permissions do not allow it, your first step should simply be to ask the
maintainer(s).  They may be able to simply point you at a git repo, or
might change the permissions after they have sanitized the code, or
whatever.

If you are concerned that some code running on Labs isn't suitably
licensed, and you are unable to resolve the matter with the
maintainer(s), then notify one of the Labs admins.    We do not
hunt-and-seek or police for violations of the terms of use, but if we
notice something then we'll have a word with the maintainer to rectify
the situation.

-- Marc