[Labs-l] Cannot connect to DB

Nuria Ruiz nuria at wikimedia.org
Tue Jan 27 19:21:57 UTC 2015

Seems like something is missing cause despite having changed the config our
wikimetrics1 instance is still throwing a bunch of errors like:

 File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py",
line 238, in _revalidate_connection
    "Can't reconnect until invalid "
StatementError: Can't reconnect until invalid transaction is rolled back
(original cause: InvalidRequestError: Can't reconnect until invalid
transaction is rolled back) u'SELECT user.user_id AS user_u

Restating the instance fixes things but somehow it gets "blocked" again. Is
there something special about how these connections need to be managed?

Config is set up as follows (user removed)

SQL_ECHO                        : False
WIKIMETRICS_ENGINE_URL          : 'mysql://<******>@localhost/wikimetrics'
WIKIMETRICS_POOL_SIZE           : 100
MEDIAWIKI_ENGINE_URL_TEMPLATE   :
'mysql://<****>. at labsdb1002.eqiad.wmnet/{0}_p'
MEDIAWIKI_POOL_SIZE             : 200
CENTRALAUTH_ENGINE_URL          :
'mysql://<*****>@labsdb1002.eqiad.wmnet/centralauth_p'
REPLICATION_LAG_MW_PROJECTS     : [ 'enwiki', 'eowiki', 'elwiki',
'commonswiki', 'dewiki', 'frwiki', 'eswiki' ]
REPLICATION_LAG_THRESHOLD       : 3 # (measured in hours)