[Labs-l] Debian Jessie now available on Labs

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Tue Feb 17 23:06:32 UTC 2015

A new image type is now available for labs instances,
'debian-8.0-jessie'.  I've just now ironed out the last few bugs with
this instance type, and it should (finally!) be ready for long-term use.

Late last year the WMF Operations team agreed that we would switch from
Ubuntu Trusty to Debian Jessie for new services.  It will be a very
gradual transition, but anyone who is developing new software (as
opposed to working on old, existing services) should go ahead and
develop on a Jessie instance so that you're ready for the future.

There are a couple of small known issues with the original startup of
Jessie instances.  In some cases the very first puppet run will fail and
won't stabilize until the second run.  In very rare cases, an instance
will come up but fail to recognize the shared file systems in
/data/public and /home; if that happens a simple reboot should fix things.

Please let me know if you encounter any unexpected issues with Debian
instances.

-Andrew